National Pyjama Day will be held on Friday 7th March. This is an annual event organised by Early Childhood Ireland. Children and staff are invited to wear their pyjamas to Mother Hubbards on this day and make a small contribution. All money raised on Pyjama Day is donated to the Irish Hospice Foundation Homecare for Children Programme. This is always a very successful event and the children and staff have great fun. Permission slips and further information will be sent home nearer the date.
We are now taking bookings for this coming September for our ECCE class. Children born between 2nd February 2010 and 30th June 2011 will be entitled to this free preschool year. If you have any children or have any friends with children who fall into this age bracket, please contact us to book a place.
New Soup on our Menu
Leek and Potato Soup
Serves 6 children.
40g butter or splash of oil
350g (when peeled)
1 vegetable stock cube
1 bay leaf
· Peel potatoes and chop into small chunks
· Trim the leeks and cut them into thin slices
· Peel and chop the onion
· Put 600ml of boiling water into stock cube to dissolve
· Gentle heat the butter/oil and add the onion and leeks. Cover the pot and cook gentle for 8-10minutes
· Then add the potatoes, stock, bay leave and pinch of pepper to the pot
· Bring to the boil, then turn down and cover the pot with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and soft.
· Take off heat and remove bay leave
· Blend the soup, put back on the heat on a gentle heat and stir in the milk
Amounts may vary according to the amount of children.
Parents often ask, what is the ‘right’ age to send their child to school at. It is often a difficult question to answer as all children are different. Below is a link to an article which was published recently in the Irish Independent that you may find to be an interesting read.
· We’d like to remind all parents to please send coats/scarves/hats etc with your children and we will ensure they wear them when going outside to play.
· Sessional Montessori will also close Friday 14th March at 12.00pm for the March Mid Term Break and re open Wednesday 19th March at 9.00am.
· If you have any news/suggestions you would like to appear in our next newsletter, please let us know.
56 Blackcastle Demesne